Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VCarve Pro 4.0 "if you missed it"

Default VCarve Pro 4.0 "if you missed it"

In case you missed it like me in VCP 4.0 you can select your cutting order in a toolpath. It cuts in the order you select the vectors... WOW! that's if you missed it.

Robert

I got mine Sunday night just as I was going to bed (G) I had to stay up a bit and try it out of course.
    works pretty good and it is far more useful for drawing. hope it takes care of the need for parts wizard.

I won't be using parts wizard again. VCP4 has many new features. I can live without guide lines though I do wish they had added them.

I completely reworked one of my production files in VCP4 and ran it this morning. It runs 9 minutes faster than the PW version. I know there is virtually no jogging but the biggest change was in the arcs it produced. When it turns the corner while cutting roost grooves it hardly slows down. The same curve in PW and the tool noticeably slows to take the turn. Don't know why... don't guess I care right now, I'm just happy to have the extra 9 minutes!

Robert

Robert,
    That's a really interesting observation. Did you use the same type of post processor on each file? (EG - Arcs or Standard)

-B

On VCPro I used arcs, on PW, to be honest, I don't even know how to choose the PP. I just answer yes to update the PW Post Processor questions whenever I install updated SB3.

My sbp files from PW only have M3 moves in it, no CG commands or anything like VCP4

Robert

Robert,
    When you save a TP in PW you can select from a list of posts. It's in the bottom right-hand corner of the save TP dialog box. Chances are you chose the standard (no CG) post...I know I suggested that you use the arcs post before...now you know what I was referring to & how to change it!

Thanks for the info. I'm sure others will find this useful when trying to streamline production.

-B

Yep, you're right, never noticed that. It does make a difference. To be honest, I never embraced PW and had no enthusiasm to spend time learning more about it or improving my files in it. I have no problem with PW working well or having great features. My biggest hangup (real or imagined) was the lack of export. I don't like feeling trapped and that's how I felt. No matter how much I learned or improved... my files would be trapped and that killed PW for me.

A quick review after working with VCP4 for a couple of days...

VCPro 4.0 is a very complete tool now. I was able to complete everything I needed without going to Corel or any other CAD. I have moved my last two production files over to VCPro and finished my test cuts.

The layer control is FANTASTIC! I can turn those roost grooves off and get them out of the way. I've also created "alternate" configurations in the same file. I have a roost groove option that writes "HabitatForBats.org" on the landing board. I can hide that layer and see my normal layout or swap. Create toolpaths from the same file and save them without having to ignore one set laying on top of another.

Lead in RAMPING!!! This has allowed me to confidently increase my Z plunge speeds. I love watching it do the little bot zigzag as it starts a cut knowing it's prolonging the life of my expensive spindle bearings.

The measuring tool leaves a little to be desired but is functional. I couldn't find a way to snap the end of the tape measure to the center of a circle. It looks like it only snaps to corners or intersections.

Now that I'm aware of it, setting the toolpath cut order by order of vector selection is a real timesaver during cutting.

BLOCK COPY!! Need I say more?

Text on a Curve! Now I don't even have to go into Corel.

I have not used the built bitmap tracing tool yet but it'll be a welcome addition when I start doing that sort of work again after the bat rush.

I agree that a few nice features are still missing like the guide lines but I'm willing to live without those features and stay portable. One quick File - Export and my work can be migrated or even tweaked in another CAD software package and brought back in whole.

Robert

I'm too busy using my new VCP4 (which I downloaded over the weekend)to say much other than I'm once again much impressed with the quality and value of all Vectric products. I'm a professional sign maker and have used Vectric's products almost exclusively since they have been available. I would have spent half the time and earned twice the income if I'd had Vectric's programs when I bought my ShopBot seven years ago, and yes I know Vectric didn't exist then. Unfortunately I have no financial connections to Vectric and didn't even qualify for the recent buyer discount.

I went to the web site to purchase new and it shows that the purchase will be for version 3.1. Has the web site not been updated? Will I get 4.0? It shows free upgrades for 12 months, what about after that? Thanks, Terry

Hi Terry,

If you purchase VCarve Pro from the WebSite now, the version you will receive will be V4. We are just in the process of finishing up the new updated web-site for V4 and hopefully that will go live this week.

As you said, you will receive free upgrades for the first 12 months after purchasing. After the 12 month period there will be a charge if you wish to upgrade to a new version. As an indication of cost, the upgrade for existing customers who bought VCarve Wizard (as it was then) more than 12 months ago is $130.

Brian